Kramer Tree Specialists
300 Charles Court, West Chicago IL 60185
SHARE THIS JOB
The following is a list of specific duties, which are considered to be essential functions of the Fleet Manager position. The list is not exhaustive as all positions at Kramer Tree Specialists are dynamic. This is consistent with our need to be flexible and responsive to the needs of our customers. The employee who occupies this position is expected to assume any/all duties assigned by management irrespective of whether such duties are specifically included in this list.
The main objectives of the Fleet Manager position are to lead, motivate, and effectively manage a team of mechanics and fabricators to safely maintain, repair and provide innovative solutions for the vehicles, equipment all other mechanical equipment necessary for all department operational needs. The Fleet Manager will lead and promote a safe working environment with standard operation guidelines for the inventory of parts, timely scheduling of preventative maintenance and repairs, and ensure compliance with all licensing, DOT, OSHA and EPA regulations for the operation of all trucks, trailers and equipment. Additional responsibilities would include monitoring the safety, quality and productivity of the work performed by shop department team and providing constructive feedback and coaching to help staff develop professionally. The Fleet Manager is expected to be a key member of the management team by actively participating in strategic planning, safety development, management staff, recruitment / selection and staffing and quarterly and annual budget review and development needs.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs., moving boxes, parts or items essential to operation of the department
- Ability to drive a vehicle for extended periods of time, sit stand or walk or maneuver in a way to assist with repair or maintenance needs of vehicles or equipment.
- Ability to work in all types of weather conditions with varying conditions in terrain and property types.
- Coordinate monthly meetings with managers and maintain open lines of communication to identify vehicle and equipment needs as well as innovations of equipment over time and how that can benefit the department demands.
- Develop, manage and maintain a master list and company database of all vehicles, tractors, and equipment. Inventory and document all vehicles, vehicle conditions, mileage, hours, etc. on a regular basis throughout the year.
- Research, organize and present innovation of new vehicles and equipment to managers and senior management staff to continually enhance the fleet and maintain it’s capabilities with the needs of the departments.
- Develop, implement, and monitor a documented vehicle and equipment succession program including establishing life expectancy guidelines. Present program quarterly to senior management staff.
- Manage and maintain accurate documentation with a computer database that will accurately reflect shop repair activity/history, maintain the status of equipment repair, and facilitate the control of labor, parts, repairs, and other relative costs.
- Set and conduct monthly meetings with senior management staff on repair status and department updates and needs.
- Maintain a system for tracking fuel usage and mileage of all fleet vehicles, CDL and non-CDL, maintain accuracy and availability
- Assure that all facility fuel systems are properly maintained and working
- Manage and ensure that all on-road vehicles have the proper license plates and registration renewals, renewed annually before expiration. Includes mileage license plate management and monitoring.
- Coordinate, oversee required annual inspections of all vehicles, equipment and fire suppressant needs
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing to vendors, superiors, managers and shop staff
- Develop training programs for all staff to effectively grow and develop in their position and continually assess performance.
- Manage, review and process weekly payroll, maintaining and adjusting start and end times, time off requests and addressing attendance performance.
- Assess performance of staff assuring that all work is of high quality, safe, productive and in accordance to developed SOP’s and standards.
- Conduct weekly department safety and update meetings to attain and provide constructive feedback targeted towards continuous improvement of department operations standard operating procedures.
- Lead hiring process for any open positions within department.
- Conduct annual performance reviews with all designated staff in the Shop Department.
- Enforce all Kramer Tree policies and procedures and implement disciplinary procedures when necessary.
- Establish, document and assess daily goals and deadlines for the day and evening shifts, to ensure vehicles and equipment are ready on a timely basis for crew usage.
- Assure that accurate and detailed repair records are maintained for all vehicles and equipment utilizing this information to make accurate decisions regarding the fleet.
- Work with all managers to assure accurate pre and post trip inspections are completed and submitted daily for all vehicles and equipment.
- Ascertain cost effective volume pricing for the purchase of parts and supplies for the shop in a cost effective manner assuring that the purchase order process is followed and maintained.
- Proactively identify areas of improvement in staff skills, operational procedures and department organization
- Ensure all trucks and equipment present a positive image to the public by their level of cleanliness and status of repair by developing guidelines and procedures for compliance of expected and acceptable professional image.
- Actively participate in the snow removal program. Providing support and assistance to assure that vehicles and equipment are functioning properly during snowstorms and that they are serviced adequately in preparation for upcoming storms.
- Actively participate in the development, implementation, and presentation of safety training programs that are related to the proper selection and safe utilization of Kramer Tree Specialists vehicles and equipment.
REQUISITE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Experience in a mechanic environment and knowledge of diesel engine repair and maintenance, hydraulics and general operation of heavy equipment, machinery and vehicles
- General knowledge of snow removal operations and maintenance/repair of associated equipment
- The ability to effectively prioritize, coordinate and complete numerous tasks demanded in an efficient manner.
- Ability to identify problems and work in conjunction with others to implement effective solutions.
- Independent judgment – targeted towards the development of creative solutions and to solve spontaneous problems and/or issues that may arise.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to be available during all KTS working hours, including weekends and holiday as needed.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is highly valuable.
- Knowledge of DOT laws and regulations regarding commercial vehicles
- Three (3) to five (5) years of Shop supervisor and/or Shop management experience
- Three (3) to five (5) years mechanic repair and maintenance
- OSHA 10 Hour – General Industry (preferred)
- Valid Illinois Driver License (or ability to obtain or transfer within 90 days)
- CDL Class A w/air brakes (preferred)