Mulch Department Manager
Kramer Tree Specialists
300 Charles Court, West Chicago IL 60185
SHARE THIS JOB
The following is a list of specific duties, which are considered to be essential functions of the Mulch Production Manager position. The list is not exhaustive as all positions at Kramer Tree Specialists are dynamic. This is consistent with our need to be flexible and responsive to the needs of our customers. The employee who occupies this position is expected to assume any/all duties assigned by management irrespective of whether such duties are specifically included in this list.
The main objectives of the Mulch Production Manager are to lead, motivate, and effectively manage the mulch department products and services, which includes, mulch production, mulch delivery, brush and leaf collection, landscape debris hauling, off-site grinding, and root pruning services. The Mulch Production Manager will report directly to the Director of Operations. Duties consist of continually improving products and services of the department through improved efficiencies, equipment use and staffing decisions. The Mulch Production Manager shall be responsible for tracking and reporting department activities, maintaining client relationships, promoting products and services to the sales team/client and facilitate the control of labor, parts, repair, and other relative costs. The Mulch Production Manager is expected to be a key member of the management team by actively participating in budgeting, strategic planning, organizational structure, recruitment / selection and staffing. The Mulch Production Manager will maintain a positive image for Kramer Tree Specialists in the field and in the industry.
• Oversee the safe, efficient and timely completion of all mulch department products and services, which includes, mulch production, mulch pickup and brush drop off, mulch delivery, brush and leaf collection, outside grinding and root pruning services.
• Identify, develop, implement and assess standard operating procedures to continually improve safety, production and work environment
• Carryout all aspects of staff management including hiring, work performance assessment, attendance, time off, merit increases, performance reviews, payroll submittal and any other task associated with personnel management
• Manage the mulch department’s vehicle and equipment needs, staff and labor to efficiently meet the demands of department products and services and maintain a professional image and presentation
• Promote mulch department products and services to sales team and clients to develop new as well as existing business
• Prepare reports as directed for all products and services assessing performance and efficiency, for presentation and interpretation at regularly scheduled staff meetings
• Effectively communicate both orally and in writing to vendors, clients, other managers and department staff to ensure the efficient achievement of department and company goals
• Conduct scheduled department meetings with staff to attain and provide constructive feedback targeted towards continuous improvement of Safety and department operations standard operating procedures.
• Participate in management staff, safety and production department meetings
• Enforce all Kramer Tree policies and procedures and implement disciplinary procedures when necessary.
• Establish and achieve daily goals and deadlines set in order to ensure the vehicles and equipment are ready on a timely basis for crew usage, especially during the peak work periods.
• Assure that accurate and detailed repair records are maintained for all vehicles and equipment utilizing this information to make accurate decisions regarding the fleet.
• Organize mulch production yard, assuring safe and productive use for staff and clients
• Identify and procure outside (Dump Sites) for landscape waste disposal.
REQUISITE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time indoors or outside in all types of weather, including driving a vehicle, working at desk, using a computer or working in a mulch production yard setting
• Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs
• Organize multiple staff for efficient and productive performance
• Prioritize needs and demands of the department
• Basic computer skills including MS Office products
• Equipment relative to mulch production, delivery and other services in the mulch department
• Mulch production operations and equipment, including mulch coloring
• Organize and prioritize client needs to achieve client satisfaction
• Communicate with clients and staff, providing conflict resolutions and client satisfaction
• Ability to identify problems, work with others and innovate
• Independent judgment and effective decision making skills
• Excellent communication, both written and verbal
• Interpersonal communication and leadership skills to lead and gain respect of staff and coworkers
• Three to five years of supervision and/or management experience
• Experience in the arboriculture industry and/or mulch production
• Valid Illinois driver license (ability to attain within 30 days of employment)
• CDL Class A w/air brakes endorsement (ability to attain within 90 days of employment)