Omphalotus illudens, commonly called “Jack O’Lantern mushroom”.

Fun Facts:

Gets its name because of its bright pumpkin orange color and its occurrence around the time of Halloween.

A common fall mushroom found east of the Rockies, frequently found in urban settings sprouting from dead trees.  Pictured here is a Red oak that died over the summer from Oak Wilt.

This fungus is poisonous so don’t sauté these up in the pan.

Rumor has it, they glow at night.  So get outside and see if it glows!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Kramer Tree Specialists

Event Sign Up Form